Values for Vision
As we head into a new year, we start with a new theme entitled "Values for Vision" - We are going to be looking at some of the Membership values we as church believe creates a sense of belonging and enables people to feel an active part of the life of the Church.
We believe in Learning (the benefits of Gods Word) - PM
- Now playing
- Sermon Notes
We believe in Learning (the benefits of Gods Word)
Here are 4 myths about our spiritual growth:-
- “It all happens when we become a Christian” – No!
- “Our growth happens naturally over time” – No!
“I could not address you as spiritual but as worldly – mere infants in Christ. I gave you milk not solid food, for you were not ready for it. Indeed you are still not ready for it. You are still worldly” (1 Corinthians 3: 1-3)
“It is hard to explain because you are slow to learn. In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God’s Word all over again. You need milk not solid food!” (Hebrews 5: 12)
- “It is all to do with self-effort” – No!
- “Our learning is best accomplished alone” – No!
“As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another” (Proverbs 27: 17)
The good news is that, “He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion” (Philippians 1:6)
Why does this growth take so long...?!
- We are slow learners
- We have much to unlearn
- We don’t want to learn!
How can we assist in our spiritual learning?
Believe that God is doing far more than you see
It takes time to build good habits, but our habits form our character. What goes in comes out, so ensuring we have the right spiritual food going in is essential. Primarily, this is the Word of God.
The first ever Church were "devoted to... teaching" (Acts 2: 42). Are we...?
- God’s Word shows us how to get a fresh start
- God’s Word reminds us that we are not alone
- God’s Word guides us in our thinking
- God’s Word helps us to know how to live
- God’s Word gives us hope
- God’s Word reveals the bigger picture
Do not give up meeting together (Hebrews 10: 25)
Being a ‘learner’ is what it means to be follower or disciple of Jesus.
As a Church, ‘Learning’ is one of our Values.
Ideal learning comes from a balance of 3 things.
- Spending time with God on your own.
- Spending time in a small group learning from one another.
- Spending time with the whole Church learning from the preaching and application of of God’s Word